Professor of Biodiversity
Tutorial Fellow, Wadham College
An evolutionary ecologist and tropical biologist by training, I now study the response of biodiversity to global change and am working at the science-policy interface in the areas of nature-based solutions to the causes and consequences of climate change and the role of biodiversity in the sustainable development agenda. For more information, visit my group website.
Other affiliations: Research Associate of the International Institute for Environment and Development (London), Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (Panama) and the Centre for Tropical Research (UCLA)
Funding: NERC, Royal Society, John Fell Fund and EPSRC
- Seddon N, Mace GM, Naeem S, Tobias JA, Pigot AL, Cavanagh RD, Mouillot D, Vause J, Walpole M (2016) Biodiversity in the Anthropocene: prospects and policy. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. Special Feature 283 (1844), 20162094.
- Cooney C, Tobias JA, Seddon N (2016) Widespread correlation between climate niche evolution and species diversification in birds. Journal of Animal Ecology. 85: 869-878.
- Bregman, T.P., Lees, A.C., Seddon, N., MacGregor, H.E.A., Darski, B. Aleixo, A., Bonsall, M.B, Tobias, J.A. 2015. Species interactions regulate the collapse of biodiversity and ecosystem function in tropical forest fragments. Ecology 96: 2692-2704.
- Tobias, J.A., Planque, R., Cram, D., Seddon, N. 2014. Species interactions and the structure of complex communication networks. PNAS (online 6 Jan 2014).
- Tobias, J.A., Cornwallis, C.K., Derryberry, E.P., Claramunt, S., Brumfield, R.T., Seddon, N. 2014. Species coexistence and the dynamics of phenotypic evolution in adaptive radiation. Nature (online 22 Dec 2013).
- Seddon, N., C. A. Botero, J. A. Tobias et al. 2013. Sexual selection accelerates signal evolution during speciation. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 280: 20131065
- Wilkins, M., Seddon, N., Saffran, R. J. 2013. Evolutionary divergence in acoustic signals: causes and consequences. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 28:156–166.
- For a complete list of publications, click here